The masked bandits are back in your attic and you are once again troubled by the heavy thudding at night when they roam around scavenging for food. You thought you have gotten rid of them before but they are back and they seem to have grown in number.
If you find yourself in this situation, it is possible that you have done a little DIY raccoon removal yourself. Here are some of the reasons why DIY raccoon removal can be a big mistake:
- Raccoons carry a number of diseases that can harm humans such as rabies and Baylisascaris. If not handled properly, you can expose yourself to a number of diseases by getting in contact with raccoon feces. When you do live trapping, raccoons can attack and bite you.
- Raccoon mothers are protective of their young and they can potentially get aggressive. Most of the time, raccoons den in your attic when they are to give birth to a litter. Your attic provides a safe haven for the young raccoons, away from the harsh elements and other predators. If you are not a trained professional, there is a high chance that you would miss the litter and just trap the raccoon mother. This could starve the babies to death and can cause future problems – imagine, bad smell and decaying bodies.
- Raccoons are highly inquisitive and intelligent.Raccoons are inquisitive animals and it takes someone with experience to study the kind of behavior of the raccoon inhabiting your home. While trapping seems to be the easiest route, it does not solve the problem quite as fast as you would think. It takes patience to “bait” the raccoons inside the trap and you need to know the kinds of foods that will lure them in. However, the bait can also attract other animals and worse, even your pet cat.
- It is illegal to kill raccoons or relocate them just anywhere. Most provinces have raccoons under protection as furbearers and it is illegal to exterminate them. If you are able to trap the raccoon in your attic, you should be mindful of your local law in terms of relocating these wildlife because it is also illegal to drop them beyond specific distances to prevent the spread of diseases. Ottawa wildlife control is something that you should consider before even attempting to do this yourself.
- Trapping them does not prevent other raccoons or other wildlife from denning in your attic. Your attic will always be an attractive place for any wildlife – from mice to squirrels, to skunks and to raccoons. Its snuggly atmosphere is comfortable for these animals. Trapping the animals that you find inside your attic is a reactive measure. Treat the problem from its source and seal your attic from future intrusions.
Let the professionals remove your nuisance wildlife for you. Raccoon removal takes expertise and skill and Ottawa wildlife control services like Skedaddle Humane Wildlife Control are an experienced choice.
Skedaddle Humane Wildlife Control Ottawa is licensed by the government to relocate wildlife animals to a safer place in the wild where they can survive and raise their litter. Skedaddle also specializes in exclusion methods such as sealing up possible entrances in your attic so that it is safe from unwanted guests.