Rodents can cause harm to you and your family with the number of diseases they carry. They are also very destructive to properties. For this reason, many consider them pests and getting rid of mice is a top priority at the first sign of an infestation.
As with most problems, an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. So, it is better to keep mice from infesting your house instead of waiting to remove them.
What are the different ways to prevent mice from invading your home?
- Keep mice away by securing garbage bins that contain food. Your house will attract not only rodents, but also all sorts of wildlife when they smell food nearby. Lock bins and keep food properly secured until the collector arrives.
- Patch and cover all holes around your home to keep them out. Small openings are access points of mice as they can get into your house through holes the size of a dime. Repair damaged screens and install door sweeps as additional measures for prevention.
- Make sure to keep firewood at least 20 feet away from your home and trim shrubbery to limit the hiding places of rodents.
- You have to keep the attic, crawl spaces and basement properly ventilated and dry to prevent rodent infestation.
- Moisture creates the perfect breeding ground for pests; have leaking pipes and clogged drains fixed to avoid infestations.
- Replace or repair damaged weather stripping and/or loose mortar in the basement and windows. These may increase the moisture in your house and make it easier for rodents to breed.
- Make sure to inspect groceries, boxes and other types of packages you or other people bring into your home. These may contain rodents that you were unable to see, which may start an infestation.
- Check dark areas often. Mice breed in dark areas often inaccessible to humans. Install lighting in areas prone to wildlife nesting or denning.
- Spray peppermint around your home; rodents do not like the smell of mint. To keep mice away you can add a few drops of mint to your cleaning product. You can also sprinkle pulverized peppermint onto potential areas of infestation.
- Consult with professional Truro wildlife control to implement different ways to keep rodents out of your property.
These ten ways will help prevent rodent infestation; it is best to implement preventive methods rather than wait until they start breeding. With the help of a Truro wildlife control expert like Skedaddle Humane Wildlife Control, you no longer have to worry about mice or any kind of pest infestation, as they will provide you with tips or tools.